Who doesn’t love pizza?! I know you guys do and so do I!
This pizza crust is so simple and it’s completely gluten free, dairy free and egg free, woohoo! I know I have said this before but I’ll say it again. I often get told that I cannot enjoy the “normal” foods everyone else enjoys and one of those is pizza. Being gluten free, vegetarian and even vegan, you can absolutely still make and eat all of your favourite foods! You just have to use different ingredients.
I have been using a pizza dough recipe for such a long time and I have never shared it with you guys. It does contain eggs but I finally got around to altering the recipe a little to make it completely egg free and therefore vegan. As you probably know by now, I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Flour for all of my baked goods that use all purpose gluten free flour. It’s the first all purpose flour that is gluten free that has actually worked for me in all of my baked goods so I’m so happy to share it with you all too!
What else is fabulous about this delicious and delightful pizza crust? I added hemp seeds! So it’s basically a hemp crust pizza base with added hemp seeds sprinkled over the finished pizza, yummy yum yum! Great for that extra nutrition!
This pizza dough does form a very soft pliable dough so you can form it into a dough and then place it on your round pizza tray and gently press it out with your hands. You can of course roll it out with a rolling pin but I don’t find that step is necessary and we ain’t got no time for that!
With the toppings, the world is your oyster! I kept it simple with delicious classic produce and a few exciting ingredients, one being tempeh!! All you have to do is cube your tempeh and quickly fry it in a little coconut oil and ground turmeric. I also topped it with sliced purple onion, button mushrooms, dairy free grated cheese, fresh rocket leaves, micro greens and a twist – fresh lemon slices! You don’t have to eat your pizza slice with a full lemon slice on it, you can squeeze the lemon juice over it. It’s provides a lovely fresh element. A little different compared to your regular pizza toppings.
I hope you enjoy this yummy, flavoursome pizza! It’s perfect for the entire family and you can whip it up for your weekly night dinners! Enjoy!
- Pizza Dough
- 1 flax egg, 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds + 2 Tbsp filtered water
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour, I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour*
- 1 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs
- ½ cup Fair Foods Hemp Seeds
- 2½ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup warm (but not hot) water
- ½ cup cubed tempeh
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ - ½ cup tomato pizza sauce
- ⅓ cup dairy free cheese, grated
- ¼ purple onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup fresh rocket leaves
- Fresh lemon slices
- Micro greens
- Fair Food’s Hemp Seeds
- Pizza Dough
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). Sprinkle a little of your flour over a regular sized round pizza tray. Set aside. NOTE: You can make one large pizza or half the dough and make two smaller pizzas.
- Make flax egg by combining ground flax seed with water, mixing well and set aside to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, guard gum (or xanthan gum), garlic, herbs, hemp seeds, yeast and salt. Mix well to combine.
- To the flour mixture, add oil, prepared flax egg and warm water.
- Stir mixture with a wooden spoon until well combined. It will form a soft dough. Use your hands to pick up the mixture and form the dough.
- Place dough onto prepared pizza tray, gently and evenly press it out into a large circle with your hands. You can also use a rolling pin for this step. The thinner you press your dough out the better because it will rise in the oven.
- Place pizza crust in oven for 12-18 minutes or until it’s lightly golden and cracks have appeared in the center. The cracks ensure the dough has cooked through the middle.
- Remove from oven and using a metal spatula, gently lift dough off the tray to make sure it hasn’t stuck, place back on pizza tray.
- Whilst pizza crust is cooking, fry your tempeh.
- In a small pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add cubed tempeh and ground turmeric, mix well.
- Fry tempeh for 2-3 minutes or until just cooked through and golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread desired amount of tomato pizza sauce over base.
- Sprinkle over grated cheese.
- Add sliced onion, mushrooms and rocket leaves.
- Place pizza back in the oven and bake until toppings have cooked through. Approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Optional: With about 2 minutes remaining until pizza is cooked, add sliced lemon and return to oven and bake for a further 2-3 minutes. Or you can simply squeeze over the fresh lemon juice before serving.
- Remove from oven and top pizza with micro greens and a sprinkling of hemp seeds.
- Slice pizza and enjoy!
*I use Bobs Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour in my baked goods. It works perfectly as an exact swap for regular flour as a 1:1 ratio. You may also use any other gluten free all purpose flour or any regular wheat all purpose flour.
This pizza is is best spread out using your hands, or you can use a rolling pin and gently roll it out.
This pizza base is best rolled out thin as it does rise in the oven.
Ensure to cook your base until lightly golden all over and cracks have appeared in the middle, before adding your toppings.