It’s that time again, burgers!! Coleslaw Burgers to be exact!
I’m sure you already know that burgers would probably have to be my most favourite savoury meal! So I find it very appropriate to share another super delicious burger recipe with you!
Today’s burger recipe is actually super tasty! I say that like I’m surprised but for such a simple burger patty (the ingredients) paired with the coleslaw, it’s so so good!!!! Am I projecting my happiness for this burger? Haha!
The burger patty itself is filled with cooked quinoa, cauliflower, zucchini and spices. I personally try to steer clear of quinoa only because it upsets my stomach but in small amounts, such as one of these patties, I seem to cope quite well! Quinoa offers bulk in these patties to fill you up and give you nourishment. You will most likely have all of these ingredients on hand so you can go ahead and make these scrumptious burgers for your dinner!
Now for the fun part, COLESLAW!!! That’s correct my friends, coleslaw is showing off in this burger and IT’S THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!! If you thought I was excited over the patty, we haven’t even touched on the incredible coleslaw!! Have you ever had coleslaw in a burger before? I’m sure many of you have but I personally haven’t! Maybe on the side of a burger but not as a filling and oh my goodness, it takes your burger to the next level.
This coleslaw is so simple, only 2 vegetables + the dressing, you’ll be whipping this up in no time! You can make it prior to time and just set it away in your refrigerator to marinade in that amazing mayo dressing. Let me point out an exciting element (if you haven’t read the full recipe yet) I added kombucha!! Oh yes – ginger-lemon flavoured kombucha from Remedy. I opted for their ginger-lemon flavour because those flavours match perfectly for coleslaw right?! Such a creative way to add kombucha, if I do say so myself!
So now we have covered all basis, I hope you will also give these burgers a go for yourself! I love to serve my burgers with a side of homemade fries, no other way!!
- 1 medium-large carrot, grated
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise*
- 1 Tbsp Remedy Ginger-Lemon Kombucha
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Burger Patties
- ¼ cup quinoa
- ¼ head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 spring onion stalks, trimmed and diced
- Small handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg**
- ½ - ¾ cup plain flour, use gluten free if preferred
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Store-bought burger buns of choice
- Fresh kale or spinach leaves, for filling
- Extra mayonnaise, for filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine grated carrot, shredded cabbage and chopped parsley.
- In a measuring jug or bowl, combine mayonnaise, kombucha, vinegar and dijon, mix well until smooth.
- Pour mayo dressing over carrot and cabbage, mixing until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator.
- Burger Patties
- Fill a small pot halfway up with water, add quinoa and bring to a bowl.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook quinoa for 5-10 minutes or until fluffy and it has soaked up the water. Once cooked, drain off any excess water and set aside.
- Add cauliflower florets into a high-speed food processor and pulse until it turns to a crumb.
- Add cauliflower into a large mixing bowl along with cooked quinoa, zucchini, spring onion, parsley, spices, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Stir through egg.
- Gradually add flour, mixing well after each addition. Test the mixture by picking up a small amount and form a patty, if it holds together, it’s ready, if it’s still breaking apart, keep adding more flour until it sticks and hold it’s shape.
- Pick up a small handful of the patty mixture and form into large burger patties or match the patty size to the size of your burger buns. Set them aside on a tray.
- Melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large fry pan over high heat. Place each patty into hot oil and fry for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through. Repeat method with remaining patty mixture.
- Slice burger buns
- Spread extra mayonnaise on the base burger bun. Top with kale leaf (or spinach), burger patty and desired amount of prepared coleslaw. Place on top burger bun.
- Serve either with a side of fries or a fresh salad and enjoy!
*Use egg-free mayonnaise for vegan friendly.
**If you want a complete vegan recipe, substitute the egg for a flax egg. I have not tested this recipe with a flax egg so I can not guarantee the same end result as the above recipe. The flax egg will help bind the mixture together and just keep adding the flour until they form into patties, holding their shape.