Happy Friday friends! Today we are making pancakes! I hope you eat with your eyes because this epic stack of protein mocha pancakes are a dessert lovers dream! Breakfast anyone?
That’s right, these beauties are protein pancakes – mocha flavoured *insert drool emoji here*.
Now there is no excuse not to enjoy a healthy serving of pancakes for brekkie or brunch because these are also gluten free! You of course don’t have to make THIS many pancakes, I think I made around 12 pancakes here by nearly tripling this recipe but that was just for the photos. You know me, I have to create an epic pancake stack to appeal to you guys 😉
What’s fun about these is that they contain protein powder! I used protein powder from the wonderful Bondi Protein Co in their vanilla flavour. You can also use chocolate flavoured protein powder! These are mocha flavoured pancakes after all. Who doesn’t love chocolate and coffee together? Such a magical combination, especially in the mornings and for all of you coffee lovers!
I mention in the recipe method that it’s important for your pancake batter to be a pouring consistency, just like thickened cream. I’m certain you know what I’m referring to because I bet you all have made pancakes before right?!
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend filled with all of the most delicious food! Oh and will you make these pancakes too?! Enjoy!
- 3½ tsp instant coffee granules mixed with 3 Tbsp boiling water then cooled down in the refrigerator
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour, I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup Bondi Protein Co Vanilla Protein Powder
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce/puree
- 1½ cups almond milk or any thin non-dairy milk of choice
- 1-3 Tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- Maple syrup
- Zebra Dream Coconut Ice-Cream, or any dairy free ice-cream of choice
- Icing sugar
- Optional: Ice-cream cones
- In a mug, add coffee granules and stir in the boiling water, mix well until coffee has dissolved. Set in the refrigerator to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, protein powder, cacao and sugar, mix well.
- Pour in liquid coffee, apple sauce and almond milk, whisk until smooth and well combined, removing any lumps. NOTE: You want your batter to be pouring consistency, if it’s too thick, keep adding more milk until you reach this consistency.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large fry pan over medium heat.
- Pour pancake batter into the middle of the pan, approx. ⅓ cup - ½ cup batter per pancake or to your desired pancake size.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium-high heat or until bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the pancake. Gently flip pancake over and fry for a further 30 seconds - 1 minute or until golden and cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter and glaze pan with more coconut oil to fry.
- Serve pancakes with a drizzling of maple syrup, desired amount of ice-cream scoops and a dusting of icing sugar. Here you can top your ice-cream with the ice-cream cones.
- Serve and Enjoy!
*I love Bobs Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour in my baked goods. It works perfectly as an exact swap for regular flour as a 1:1 ratio. You may also use any other gluten free all purpose flour or any regular wheat all purpose flour.