One of the easiest and tastiest desserts. The sweetness from the raspberry jam combined with the crunch of the meringues is just magic. These little jems are the perfect addition at any party especially for the holidays.
I decided to create smaller meringues instead of one large one as bite sized desserts are easier, crunchier and you cannot stop after just one! Sam xxx
- Raspberry Chia Seed Jam
- 1½ cups frozen raspberries
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla bean extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 112 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- Raspberry Chia Seed Jam
- In a medium sized pot, add frozen raspberries and honey and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chia seeds and stir through.
- Continue to cook down the jam for a further 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir through vanilla.
- Place in the refrigerator until meringues are ready.
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Prepare a piping bag with a small-medium round nozzle.
- To make the meringue, whip egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually add the sugar one tablespoon at a time until stiff shiny peaks form.
- Gradually adding the sugar will ensure it all dissolves. To test this, take a small amount of the meringue mixture between your thumb and index finger and the meringue should feel smooth and not gritty. Continue to beat the meringue if it still feels gritty.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch and drizzle the vinegar over the meringue mixture and with a rubber spatula, gently fold through until combined. Take your piping bag and fill it with the meringue.
- Pipe small rounds of meringue onto the baking tray, making sure your giving some height to the rounds while your piping.
- Take a teaspoon and gently push down on the top of each meringue, forming a well in the center for the jam.
- Turn down the heat of the oven to 100°C (212ºF) and bake meringues for approx. 45 minutes to an hour or until the outside is dry and the colour of the meringues are a pale cream to very a slightly golden colour.
- Take meringues out of the oven and let cool on tray.
- Spoon a dollop of the jam into the centres of each meringue and serve.
They will keep in an airtight container (without the jam) in a dry place until ready for use.
©WHOLESOME PATISSERIE. All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use my images or content without prior permission. If you want to re-publish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words or link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.