Scones with Jam & Cream! Homemade scones have never been easier! Under 10-ingredients, no fancy equipment and baked in under 15 minutes. Serve with lashings of strawberry jam and whipped cream!
- 300g (2 cups) plain all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 60g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) + 1 tablespoon milk, plus extra for glazing
- To serve
- 1 cup store-bought strawberry jam or jam of choice
- 1 cup thickened cream, whipped
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC (390ºF). Line a baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Take a hand whisk and whisk for 1 minute to aerate the flour.
- Add chilled cubed butter to the four and using your hands, rub the butter into the flour until it reaches the consistency of course bread crumbs or wet sand. Approx. 1 minute. NOTE: Ensure not to over rub your butter otherwise it will begin to melt in warm hands.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the 1/2 cup milk. Using your hands, swirling and mixing the flour into the milk until just combined. Pour in remaining 1 tablespoon milk and mix until a dough just begins to form, do not over-mix, there will still be lumps of flour throughout.
- Lightly flour your bench top or board.
- Transfer dough onto floured surface and lightly knead to bring any loose bits together. Pat it out and form into a thick round, approx. 2cm-3cm high.
- Using a 6cm round cookie cutter, dip into some flour and press the cutter straight down into the dough, do not twist. Lift out and transfer scone onto lined tray. Repeat with remaining dough. Kneading together excess dough trims and repeat, creating more scones. This recipe makes around 6-8 scones.
- Using 1-2 tablespoons of milk, lightly brush the tops of each scone.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until tops are lightly golden and scones are solid.
- Remove from oven and cover scones and tray with a clean tea towel for 5 minutes. This will trap the steam in the scones, keeping them well risen. This will also soften the scones.
- Remove tea towel and serve warm with jam and whipped cream or cool scones completely on a wire rack and serve later.
Store in an airtight container, in the pantry, for 1-2 days. These scones are best consumed when they’re freshly baked!