Happy Tuesday Friends! Today is a fun recipe day and an interesting one at that! Beetroot Ice-Cream! That’s right, beetroot flavoured ice-cream, oh my!
This recipe is only for the pretty in pink ice-cream you see in these images because I didn’t actually make this ice-cream from scratch. I used my favourite dairy free vegan ice-cream from Zebra Dream, just for fun!! As you can tell from the photos, I did have a lot of fun with the sprinkles!
Honestly, I have yet to create a good quality dairy free ice-cream that is made from scratch. So for now, i’ll leave it to the professionals and just have fun blending delicious and interesting flavours into the ice-cream base, for this case I used vanilla. Meanwhile, i’ll keep trying an testing recipes for homemade vegan ice-cream for you. I’ve tried cashew based ice-creams and dairy-free milk and cream ice-creams and they all seem to be lacking something, not sure what that is but they always fail!
Here’s something funny though, yesterday I shared with you these yummy Turmeric + Charcoal Nice-Cream Bowls and when I blended the frozen banana, the consistency is the closest thing that I have achieved to what ice-cream should be, it’s even creamer than actual regular dairy ice-cream, haha!!
So these ice-cream waffle cones are pretty much just for fun! I did blend through some awesome Beetroot Powder from West End Tea Co. to create a beetroot flavoured vanilla ice-cream and what a bonus this beautiful shade of pink is?! Who doesn’t love to enjoy cute ice-cream? Especially with all those sprinkles too! Oh and if you didn’t guess, that is melted white chocolate dripping down those delightful ice-cream cones 😀
I would have to say I really enjoyed this beetroot ice-cream, it’s definitely different but when it’s blended through with a strong vanilla flavoured ice-cream, it’s epic and on another level! Enjoy!
- 500ml Zebra Dream Vanilla Ice-Cream, or any dairy-free ice-cream
- 1½ tsp West End Tea Co. Organic Vanillabeet Tea Latte Blend, or any beetroot powder
- Zebra Dream Mint and Pana Choc Chip Ice-Cream, optional for a different flavoured cone
- Waffle Cones
- 15g white chocolate block, broken into squares
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- Candy sprinkles
- Ice-Cream - requires 4-6 hours or overnight prep for freezing
- Leave 500ml carton of the vanilla ice-cream out on your kitchen bench to defrost.
- Once ice-cream has melted, gradually stir through beetroot powder, whisking ice-cream until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Pour ice-cream back into the carton it came in or a small rectangle baking pan lined with 2 layers of plastic wrap. Place in the freezer until completely frozen, approx. 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Melt white chocolate and coconut together in a microwave safe bowl, until completely melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Scoop out desired amount of ice-cream into your waffle cones.
- Drizzle ice-cream with melted white chocolate and add desired amount of candy sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!