Whats your favourite Christmas flavours? There are just so man to choose from that today I’m brining you another classic. These are Peppermint Chocolate Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies! The filling? A decadent, homemade, dark chocolate coconut cream based ganache infused with peppermint extract, sounds pretty good right?!
Cookies are a popular baked good for Christmas and these are no excuse, especially with the luxurious ganache center, oh my! The cookies themselves are gluten free so they are light and fluffy which is great! Just make sure that you let the cookies rest and cool on the pan for the required time and cool them completely on your wire rack before filling them up with that delightful and delicious peppermint infused chocolate ganache!
You guys! The weather here in Melbourne is crazy, as per usual. It’s December and we are still have wintery days, we just started summer! Although, today when I made these cookies, it was 34 degrees (celsius) and my poor cookies did take a while to firm up and the ganache melted a little whilst photographing them but they still tastes a-m-a-z-i-n-g!
I hope you’re all well on your way to having a fantastic holiday and festive season, have you started prepping all of your recipes?! Have you been on nightly strolls around the neighbourhood to look at all of the Christmas light decorations? I know I’ll be dragging my family out to do that next week! My dog will go of course, no questions asked, he LOVES his walkies! Enjoy these gorgeous gluten free peppermint chocolate gingerbread cookies everyone!
- Peppermint Ganache Filling
- 150g coconut cream
- 150g dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 230g butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ Tbsp molasses
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 2 cups gluten free plain flour
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Peppermint Ganache Filling
- Heat cream in medium sized pot over medium heat until bubbles appear around edges. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate into cream, let sit for 1 minute.
- Whisk chocolate into cream until completely melted and smooth.
- Stir through peppermint extract.
- Pour into a clean bowl, set in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF) and line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl using a hand beater, add softened butter, beat until smooth.
- Add sugar, beat until well combined and smooth.
- Beat through molasses.
- Add cacao, beat until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, ginger, baking soda and baking powder, mix well.
- Add flour mixture into butter mixture, beat until just combined.
- Roll approx. 1 tablespoon of mixture into a ball. Place on prepared tray and press the centre of the cookie down with your thumb to make an imprint. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place in refrigerator to set for 10 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator, bake for 7-9 minutes or until edges of cookies have slightly browned.
- Remove from oven, press each cookie center to make the imprint more defined if needed. Cool on tray for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place 2-3 teaspoons of ganache into the center of each cookie.
- Serve and enjoy!