How matcha cookies would you like?
See what I did there? I hope you enjoyed that very matcha!
Ok enough teasing you with matcha, let’s now focus on these glorious Matcha Cookies!! Woohoo! PS. yes, those are indeed white chocolate chips because we all know how beautifully matcha combines with white chocolate…
This recipe would have to be my favourite and go-to dairy free base cookie recipe, I originally found it on Oh She Glows and just adjusted it slightly to match my recipe theme. We are using white chocolate chips in this particular recipe but if you can hunt down dairy free white choc chips, use those if you want your batch of cookies to be completely vegan. Or, you can use dark chocolate chips as a dairy free option for dark chocolate is more accessible these days, check out your local health food store!
As I was saying, this recipe is a wonderful vegan base cookie recipe, I have also used it for my Chocolate Walnut Cookies and these Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Cookies, I’m certain you will enjoy those two recipes as well. This time around though, I thought I would switch it up a little and omit the chocolate and replace it with more oat flour and flavour/colour it with matcha! Don’t you just loveeee matcha…
Side tracking for a moment here, when I was travelling the US and Canada, everyday we got our afternoon hot beverages and 90% of my choices were Matcha! Not all cafes we went to offered matcha beverages but the ones that did, I was all over it. Some were good and some not so good. The best one I had was in Banff, Canada, at a little cafe called Evelyn’s Coffee Bar. Their matcha, was incredibly delicious and made to perfection! Highly recommended if you’re ever in Banff or just passing through.
So I’ll stop rambling because I’m pretty sure you’re going to want to make yourself a batch of these beauties, trust me, you’ll love them as much as I do! My family certainly did!
- Flax Egg
- 1 Tbsp ground flax + 2 Tbsp water, mixed together
- Dry Ingredients
- 1½ cups oat flour*
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp Zen Wonders Matcha Powder
- Wet Ingredients
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºF), line a baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Make flax egg by mixing together the ground flax and water, mix well and set aside to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients until well blended, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients and prepared flax egg.
- Pour wet mixture into dry, mix until smooth and well combined.
- Roll mixture into balls, approx. the size of a golf ball. Place on prepared tray and press down to create a thick round disc.
- Repeat with remaining mixture. Leaving a 2cm gap between each cookies, they don’t spread too much, they rise.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies crack slightly on top and turn lightly golden around the edges.
- Remove and cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*If you don’t have or cannot find oat flour, simply process rolled oats into a fine flour.