Chocolate + Raspberry, now that is an indulgent combination!
Using my all time favourite and quick go-to simple chocolate cake recipe with fresh raspberries folded through for that burst of freshness when you bite into big slice! Wow, now that was a long sentence.
Also featured in this yummy cake is coconut water! Fancy that hey? It adds another level of flavour and excitement! Decorated with beautiful flaked almonds that turn golden and a little crunchy during baking.
We all love an easy chocolate cake recipe don’t we? Well you’ll be enjoying this one even more I bet! It’s gluten free also, did I not mention that? 😉
- 2 Tbsp butter, or coconut oil
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour, I use ‘Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour’
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup coconut water, I use ‘Pure Cocobella Straight Up Coconut Water’, you can also use regular milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla bean extract
- ½ tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, plus extra for decorating if desired
- 3 Tbsp flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (356ºC). Line a 9” round cake tin with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt butter first and then set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa, mix well.
- Pour in coconut water, eggs, vanilla, coffee and the melted butter.
- Using a hand mixer, or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the mixture for 15-20 seconds until well combined. Scraping down the sides when needed.
- Add the 1 cup raspberries and gently fold through.
- Pour into lined cake tin and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Sprinkle over flaked almonds.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. The cake should be set and spring back when gently pressed.
- Remove and cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with remaining raspberries and extra flaked almonds if desired.