A homemade loaf that isn’t made with bananas! Yes that’s right, no bananas in sight here! This is a scrumptious Strawberries and Cream Loaf. Not that there’s anything wrong with bananas but I wanted to give you an option for a simple loaf that you don’t need an excess of bananas to make it!
I do love an occasional banana bread but to be honest with you, I do find they don’t last very long and they do tend to sweat. This is wear this yummy and easy loaf filled with strawberries and topped with cream comes in handy! Perfect for snack throughout the week and you can even enjoy it for breakfast!
Although this loaf does contain eggs and butter, I did whip coconut cream for the frosting but it’s not crucial, you can use regular cream if you don’t mind the dairy. I just had a chilled coconut cream can in my refrigerator and I added a little icing sugar to thicken it up, perfection!
The dehydrated blood oranges on top is completely up to you, if you want to add them that is. I topped the loaf with them purely for photo purposes but they do make a great and eye-catching topper, don’t you think?
I hope you enjoy this yummy strawberries and cream loaf! My top tip: it’s perfect after it’s come out of the oven, served warm with a spread of whipped cream, oh goodness YES!
- 80g butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- Grated rind of 1 small blood orange
- 2 Tbsp blood orange juice, approx. 1 small juiced blood orange
- 2 cups gluten free plain flour, or regular all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup raw caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh strawberries
- Dehydrated Blood Orange Slices, follow my recipe for oven-dried oranges here but use blood orange slices instead
- 200g chilled coconut cream
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 9"x5" loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan gently heat butter, milk and blood orange rind and juice together over medium heat until butter has melted and is smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in coconut and sugar.
- Add milk mixture, whisked eggs and mix until just combined. Gently fold through chopped strawberries.
- Pour mixture evenly into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes - 1 hour until lightly golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Loaf can be kept in an air-tight container, for up to 6 days.
- In a stand mixer or in a mixing bowl using a hand mixer, whip chilled coconut cream and icing sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Spread over cooled loaf and top with optional dehydrated blood orange slices.
- Serve and enjoy!